Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Signs of Fall by SugarPlum

My unbelievably gifted (no I'm not biased, why do you ask?) nine-year-old daughter has enthusiastically agreed to let me share this little essay that she wrote for her fourth grade English class last week. Personally, I found it one of the most lovely things I have ever read.


The many colored leaves rustle as the cool autumn breeze gently blows. A monarch butterfly alights on a flower. The cries of wild geese echo across the beautiful blue sky. These are a few of the many signs of fall. As I watch, a squirrel gathers nuts for winter. Suddenly, a bunch of acorns fall on me, reminding me of the pitter-patter of rain. I look up and see a huge flock of birds flying south like the geese. I imagine myself one of them, soaring over forests of red, yellow, and orange spangled trees and then diving into a cool refreshing mass of water. As I watch them fly into the sunset and over the horizon, I think to myself, "Fall is wonderful!"

No comments: