Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Buckle up for safety, buckle up for fun....

Yesterday, at the grocery store (by myself...yea SD!!!), as the girl was loading the groceries into the back of the Candy-Van, she asked me if I had a baby. I assumed that she saw the stroller folded up in the back, and said, "No, a three-year-old...and a ten year-old...and a five year old."

She mentioned that she saw the car seats and that is what made her wonder. I told her that all three of my kids still have car seats. She looked at me like I had lost my ever-loving mind. "Even the ten year-old?!" she asked, totally aghast.

Yep, that is the recommendation if the NHTSA. I'll admit, SugarPlum is just now tall enough to ride without a car seat, but she likes having the headrest when we are on a longer trip. And the seat we bout for her is mad for children up to 100lbs. But none of my kids have ever questioned the car seat thing. In fact, they get a little stressed if they aren't buckled into their seats properly. "NOOOOO! Carseat Mommy!" Once, one of SP's friends commented about the car seat and tried to make fun of her. "Your mom makes you ride in a car seat? My mom doesn't make ME ride in a car seat!

SugarPlum, far from being upset or embarrassed, simply replied, "Yeah, well, my mom loves me!" How could you not?

I will also admit that I come by my car safety paranoia honestly. I rode in one of the very first carseats ever on the market long, long ago. My mom always made us buckle our seatbelts regardless of where we went. We never owned a car without seatbelts. Which is saying a lot for the early 70's! When TEXAS!! passed the seatbelt law in the 80's, it was no big deal to us, we had always had to wear ours.

I have friends who question my car seat "nazi" tendencies. But I just don't care. If there is something so simple that can keep my kids safe, I'm all for it. I don't understand why people don't put their kids in car seats. And I don't mean weirdos like me whose almost ten-year-olds are still in car seats. I'm talking about those people I see driving around withe their two-year-old standing in the front seat. It scares the bejeebers out of me. I want to take them to Target and buy them a car seat. Somehow though, I don't think that would make that much of a difference. In fact, it might just get me a black eye.

So, am I an unreasonable freak mom? Do your kids (if they are elementary school-age) still ride in car seats? Am I justified in my paranoia or do I need to take some extra Xanax and get over it all ready? Not that I'm gonna. Pbbbbbbtttttttt!

No comments: