Thursday, June 30, 2005

Consequences Suck

I have great kids. I sometimes wonder when they are going to learn the tough lessons that are more easily learned early. Like about lying, sneaking around, disobeying. They are generally a pretty easy going and obedient bunch. But I find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop....

Yesterday was a pretty rough day here in Candyland. SugarPlum had her new buddy, our next door neighbor over to play. (We have lived here 10 days and those two are like peanut butter and jelly!) They came downstairs wanting to play with some make-up kit that an evil, mommy-hating grandparent must have given her at some point. I told her that it might be a good thing to save that for a rainy day since her daddy was coming home to take them to the pool. (This way, I could get the errands done that I had been putting off until I could go kidless).

Daddy got home & I called her, "SuuuuuugarPluuuuuum!" She is usually good about coming when I call, so I was slightly annoyed when I got a "WHAT?" from behind her bedroom door. Finally, she emerged, face covered in blue eye shadow. No, mommy was not pleased. I told her to send her friend home, and she would not be going to the pool today.

You would have thought I had told her that we were taking her puppy away or something. "Pleeeeeeeeeese Mommy! Pleeeeeeeeeeeease! I'll do anything! Please let me go to the pool!"

When I pointed out that it was her choice to disobey & she had to face the consequences, she turned to the "pass the buck" strategy.

SP:"Niechelle made me put the make-up on!"

Me: "She held you down and smeared blue stuff all over your face?" (and really, what was her goal with the all over blue? Was she trying to be a smurf?)

SP: "I hate it when you are sarcastic!" and "THAT IS NOT FAIR!!"

So now, SugarDaddy is taking the boys to the pool & I have to take her shopping with me. And girlfriend HATES shopping. So...more wailing, gnashing of teeth, and rending of clothes. As well as pleading and bargaining. Did I mention the falling to the ground and writhing on the floor?

Nope she still had to go to Wal-Mart with Mom. (And honestly, isn't WalMart punishment enough?) We finally came to the understanding that if the attitude didn't improve, she wouldn't be swimming all week. Honestly, she was very contrite and apologetic once she had calmed down. She was even downright pleasant during dinner. She got to have her friend back over & they picked cherries for a pie that we will make tomorrow.

I'm wrung out. She's only eight! What have I got ahead of me?? Be afraid, be very afraid!

No comments: