Monday, July 17, 2006

D-day draws nigh....

Okay, our sense of humor is fading fast around here. SD leaves Tuesday and we are all feeling the impending doom. In less than 24 hours I will be a single parent. This is not something I was cut out for. I am better as part of a team. And my teammate is bailing on me. Okay, okay, to be fair, he IS returning as often and as soon as he possibly can.

SugarPlum ended up with a migraine Thursday evening (the first of two or three in the past several days). We were going out to dinner and she didn't even want to go eat Mexican food. And really, girly LOVES her fajitas. I gave her some medicine and some HeadOn (which works miracles usually...thanks Angel!!) and let her stay home while we grabbed supper. When we got home she had fallen asleep and woke up shortly after a little disoriented and still in a lot of pain. Finally SD carried her to our bed and I snuggled her and read to her for a while. Eventually, I got her one of my Fioricet, which finally worked.

I'm not surprised. She has been the one feeling the most anxious about her Daddy leaving. She won't let us talk about it or even allude to it. If I say something like, "You know, next week, I'm really going to need your help..." she tears up and tells me that she just doesn't want to talk about it. She has been having trouble going to sleep and has been SOOOO moody. I mean, even moodier than normal for a nine-year-old little girl. Scary! This week, she is going to soccer camp, so maybe she will have a constructive outlet for her feelings. Maybe. Or maybe she will be even MORE tired and cranky. It's a toss-up.

The boys, of course, really have no idea what is going on. I mean, they have heard us saying that Daddy's leaving, but I am pretty certain that they don't get it. I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow when he is actually gone. The phrase "all hell breaking loose" keeps running through my mind for some reason. Bear has been having random meltdowns about relatively minor things over the past two weeks. It's almost painful to watch because you can tell that he really cannot control what is going on. His emotions are on edge and get away with him sometimes. Bug, really, has no clue. He reacts to everyone else's emotions, which is enough, honestly.

I've had a few migraines of my own. No big surprise. But I have kept my Xanax use to a minimum. I have really just been enjoying my time with SD. We have used the hot tub some (at night - sitting in the hot tub when it is 105 degrees just doesn't appeal to me), snuggled some and, yes, picked a few fights of course. I'm fairly sure I'll be a disaster tomorrow.

SD, to his credit, is really trying to keep his emotions in check and spend as much time with the kids as he possibly can. He takes them with him on several of his trips to Lowes every day and he makes them breakfast every morning.

Wednesday, we took out a second mortgage on our newly financed house and made a trip to the local water park. The kids had a blast. SD got soooo burned. In spots. He let SugarPlum put the sunblock on him and it wasn't the most even application. We have all been chipping in, taking turns applying aloe to his shoulders and back. We're nothing if not helpful.

SD did get my new cooktop and oven installed. I had forgotten how much I love a gas stove! He has let the kids help him with much of what he has done. Tomorrow, he is taking them to ride bumper boats at a place in town. I'm going to let them have that fun all to themselves. It's supposed to be over 100 all week.(it's not even 10:00 am & it is over 90 degrees already) Blech. (although, as Christine pointed out, at least we have a/c!)

So, as I mentioned a while back, SD leaves Tuesday and my birthday is Thursday. My big plans? I have a doctor appointment! I'm crazy that way (no, really, I am crazy, you know). Actually, one of my very best friends, CRB, is coming to town Wednesday to keep me from losing it and she is staying at least thru Friday and maybe all weekend. Also, Mrs. Jackalord is coming on Saturday. I have the most wonderful friends. Anyone else want to come join us? We have plenty of room. And my mom will be here to babysit. Wheeeeee!

Stay tuned tomorrow for much self-pity and woe....

No comments: