Monday, April 28, 2008

How many little boys does it take to change a light bulb?

Ha HA! That title is a trick question! You see, because the answer should be ZERO! Little boys should not be changing light bulbs at all. Not even if they can easily reach the light on the ceiling fan simply by sitting in their loft bed. Never EVER should a little boy (in this house, anyway) be touching a light bulb. Only grown-ups change light bulbs.

At least that is the message I tried to get across to Bear this weekend after he came into the kitchen carrying a light bulb and telling me, "This burned-ed out. I need a new one." Meanwhile, I'm on the verge of a stroke, imagining the possible electrocution or the shards of glass embedded in my son's hands.

I may have gone a little overboard in my admonishment. I say this because after about the seventeenth "never! Do you understand?" his eyes began to glaze over. I'm certain that he was thinking to himself, "Geez, lady, see if I ever try to help YOU again!"

Other actions we learned this weekend that little boys should never do:
  • administer punishment (spanking, scratching, throwing to the floor) because, "He wasn't picking up!"
  • pour cinnamon-sugar directly into their mouths from the container.
  • anything involving power tools.
  • taking hammer to glass. (oh, yes, indeed!)
  • fix their own waffles.
  • get up before 5:30. *yawn*
  • put stickers on my walls, doors and/or furniture.
  • climb over the fence to play in the front yard without permission.

Yes, it was a looooong weekend. Some people dread Mondays. In some ways, it's my favorite day of the week. Until school is out, anyway.....

No comments: