Friday, October 14, 2005

Friday Flashback - Cooking Disasters

Karin's Flashback Friday theme this week is Cooking Disasters. I have so many stories that fall into this category. I have had trouble narrowing it down.

I could tell you about the very first meal I ever cooked when I was about nine years old. Tuna Surprise. Surprise! It was n-a-s-t-y. But my Daddy ate every bite on his plate.

I could tell you about the time I was making Vodka Rigatoni and almost set the kitchen on fire. (Bacon grease+flame+vodka=fire...just so you know)

I could tell you about the time, just a few weeks into my marriage, I decided to make chicken pot pie from scratch - crust and all. And ended up with flour all. over. the. kitchen. Pillsbury is my friend.


But what I will tell you about is the infamous Chicken Sopa incident. SugarDaddy loves to tell this story.

SD was in pilot training when we started dating. We lived three and a half hours apart and would see each other most weekends. This particular weekend, I went to his apartment. They must have been flying on a Saturday, which they did when they got behind. I decided to make one of my favorite meals of my mom's, Chicken Sopa. It is really more like chicken enchilada casserole. I hadn't cooked many meals for him. As it happened, my good friend Hos (who happens to be the husband of my good friend, Lbt, they were also dating at the time.) was also in training there. So I invited him over to SD's apartment to have supper with us.

Well, this recipe calls for chicken, tortillas, and enchilada sauce, among other things. I was cooking along and everything looked and smelled yummy. The guys had told me when they would be home. Well, that time came and went and the casserole began to cook down and sort of solidify, so I added more sauce, which then needed more tortillas...and this went on for some time. The guys ended up being like three hours late. And the chicken sopa had grown to fill a stock pot. It was a big orange gloppy mess. It still tasted okay, but the texture was all wrong. Sort of the consistency of canned dog food. Yummy. They guys were nice at first. They ate politely. Then, when it was obvious that we had lots and LOTS of leftovers, I made Hos take some home with him. He threw it away, he told me later. SD never ate any of the leftovers either.

This has become legend in our house. I have made it since, but SD always has to give me a hard time about it. I am a really good cook, if I do say so myself. I enjoy cooking and experimenting with recipes. SD brags bout my cooking all the time. But I will never, ever, live down Chicken Sopa.

No comments: