Sunday, October 23, 2005

Weekend Recipe Exchange - Decadent Desserts

Well, it's Sunday again already. This week Theresa chose the theme of Decadent Desserts. She also said to post a picture, but this recipe is HUGE so I do not make it unless we are having a lot of company. I do however have a picture of the cherry pie I made a few weeks ago, with cherries picked from the tree in our backyard. I thought it was beautiful. And it was very tasty. If you want the recipe, it is in your Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I know you have one. If you don't, email me & I will gladly share the recipe for it was well. Lest you think I have gone all Martha on you, I will let you know that the crust is from Pillsbury. I don't do crust.

Now to today's recipe. It is one I got from a friend while we lived in England. She made it for me after Bear was born. She made me swear to never make it for a squadron function until after one of us moved because it was "her" specialty. I obliged. It is absolutely fantastic. One friend of ours always volunteered to do the dishes when this was served at a party. We wondered what on earth that was all about until one night we went in the kitchen and found him scraping the bowl to get the remnants.

One more funny story before I share the recipe. I made this one 4th of July when my parents and The Queen's in-laws were visiting. Her father-in-law has a major aversion to bananas (you really don't want to know...). When it was time for dessert he said he didn't want any after seeing it. I assured him that there were no bananas in it and he told me, "There are two things I don't eat. Bananas and whatever that is!" We finally got him to try it & he couldn't get enough. He tried to take all of the leftovers home with him, even though they were flying back to the States in the morning!

Now, for the recipe.....

Berries and Bits
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 cups cold water
1 (3-1/2 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
1 pt. whipping cream (whipped)
‘Nilla wafers
sliced strawberries (about 4 cups)
blueberries (about 2 cups)
chocolate mini-chips
Combine condensed milk and water; add pudding and beat well.
Chill 5 minutes and fold in whipped cream.
Place 2 cups mixture in a pretty glass bowl.
Cover with a single layer of vanilla wafers.
Sprinkle with berries and chocolate bits.
Repeat with pudding, wafers, berries and bits.
Finish with pudding and garnish with a few berries or chocolate bits in a pretty pattern on top.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. At least six hours allows it all to set up properly.

*Notes:
- Any combination of berries, or all one kind, will work. Fresh are best!
- Milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or a combination...it’s your favorite.
- Makes a pretty 4th of July desert-a layer of strawberries, a layer of blueberries and both on top.

No comments: