Thursday, August 17, 2006

I can't for the life of me think of a title for this post

Whew! That was one hell of a pity party, no? Thanks for all of your sympathies. I'm feeling much better now...heh, a tribute to one of my dad's favorite lines ever.

Actually I got over it pretty quickly after I posted. No, not "got over it" in a "fuck him I can live without him" kind of way. More of an "okay I can/will/must put my big girl panties on and cope" kind of way. Having three kids, two of which start school the next morning, tends to put things in perspective for you. Although, I suppose that I could just curl up in a ball with a bottle of Boone's Strawberry Hill and a bag of Cheetos and whimper my days away. Who am I kidding? I'm no Britney...I could never pull that off.

I intended to post Monday about the first day of school and all the excitement surrounding that. Funny thing about school starting. I thought I'd have all this spare time. But school sort of takes over. Throw in soccer practice for the two "big kids" and a three year old who is pissed about being left out of all the fun and you are left with NO time to do anything much more than breathe. If I'm lucky. And here it is Thursday and I am finally getting back to the old blog.

Sooooo.....the first day of school. It was fantastic. Both kids are honestly so in love with their schools and their teachers, I couldn't possibly be happier. SugarPlum was a little apprehensive since she will be going to a different school than the one she attended the last time we lived here. Frankly, she was so disappointed that she wouldn't be with her best friend. Luckily they are on the same soccer team. On the up side two of the girls from her old soccer team go to her new school and one of them, T, is in her homeroom. AND? T was as excited that SugarPlum was in the same class as SP was. Her teacher got to hear all about SP before we ever got there on "Meet Your Teacher Night." So, the teacher put them at the same table. I think I love her. All of the fourth grade teachers seem to be really wonderful. SugarPlum is excited about every course. Even math! As it turns out, the math teacher gave them a problem the first day to find as many ways to get 24 as they could think of. Mrs. Math said that SP came up with the most creative way of anyone in the whole fourth grade. She was so excited!

SugarBear loves, loves, loves Kindergarten! He has friends to play with, stuff to do, and...AND?! he gets to watch a movie every day at rest time. He is such a people pleaser and he has plenty of chances to do just that. His teacher is just the nicest lady while still having total control over the class. He likes everything there is about Kindergarten. I asked him yesterday how his day was and he replied, "I like it as much as anything in the whole wide world!!" Could you ask for anything more? He was telling me about playing with his "new best friends" and I asked him their names. He replied, "Oh, I don't know." Wouldn't you love to be five again?!

But, yes, Bug is less than pleased at being left out of the festivities. He cries every day after we drop Bear off, "I wanna go to the rock school!!" (The school has these stone walls. They call it the "rock school.) His school starts after Labor Day. Delayed gratification is NOT amongst the qualities for which three year old are known. So my days have been filled with resentment and rebellion. Good times.

Tomorrow, we go to Gram and Gray Gray's house. I am singing in a wedding Saturday with a couple of my high school friends. I am so excited because these are two of my favorite people in the whole wide world! (Okay, yes we use that phrase a lot in our family. Maybe more than anyone else in the whole wide world!) So there has been a lot going on here in Candyland. And I promise to try and be better about sharing it. Remember, I said TRY!

No comments: