Monday, August 22, 2005

Rotten as a three week old banana

It has been less than three days and the kids are so spoiled, I almost can't stand to be in the same room with them. Why wasn't SugarPlum getting ready for bed at bedtime last night? Because Gram said that she could have some M&Ms first. You know how chocolate at bedtime is so soothing and sleep inducing. Especially for children.

Where were the boys during and after the thunderstorm Saturday afternoon? On the back porch with GrayGray watching the storm. THEN, splashing in the mud puddles and becoming coated head to toe with an extremely adhesive mixture of mud and sand. All I know is that it took quite some time, soap and scrubbing to get the ground-in mud off of SugarBug's little body. And what were those black chunks of stuff glued to his scalp? No, don't tell me. I'm thinking ignorance is bliss on that account.

And evidently, I am not supposed to be angry when my daughter smarts off to me. After all, I did the exact same thing when I was eight. Let me tell you, there are a lot of things I did as a kid that I will not be giving a pass on.

Trust me. I know that this is what grandparents are for. I know that they won't ruin my kids. They need to have these special moments with the only people who will let them do this stuff. We are treasuring this time. Coveting the moments that the kids get to spend with my folks. Life is short, and visits with your GrayGray and Gram are even shorter. Might as well make every moment as enjoyable as possible.

No comments: