Friday, September 02, 2005

Another Sigh of Relief

I spoke with my sister-in-law a while ago. She called me from her home phone. They still have no power, but when her phone rang late last night, she discovered that it was working! I was so, so happy to hear her voice. They were very blessed to have come through the storm with fairly minor damage. I guess we assumed heavy damage from the reports we saw in TV. Their house has some shingles missing and a small roof leak, but no structural damage and no flooding. Their cars are okay as well. They just don't have any gas to put in them. She was able to go to the grocery store last night and get some canned goods, etc. No milk or perishables, obviously. The WalMart was supposed to open soon as well, so the folks in Ocean Springs are faring much better than most of the rest of the area. Right now, their greatest need is gas. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that I can't send that through the mail.

Looks like SugarDaddy may be flying down there to get his dad and bring him up here. I am going to try really hard not to bitch too much about that. I am very thankful that he is alive. I love him very much, but he has become very hard to like. He is grouchy, stubborn, and thoughtless. I won't even go into the major things that concern me about him, but if he is going to be staying here for any great length of time, we will be finding him a furnished apartment to live in! End of that rant. I am going to try to focus on the blessings.

I am watching the news right now, seeing the relief finally coming into New Orleans. The National Guard has arrived and will hopefully restore some order there. These guys have been dealing with the disorder in Iraq, so I'm sure that they won't put up with any crap in New Orleans. They have also been able to deliver some humanitarian aid - water, food and transportation out of the city. People may finally get the help they so desperately need. I have heard so much criticism of the government, but you know, nobody was able to get into the area, and it wasn't safe because of these gangs of looters with guns. All of the devastation is heartbreaking. These refugees wandering around in search of help will be able to find it now, I pray.

Once again, thank you all for your abundance of prayers and well wishes. They have shored us up in the last few days. I am so grateful for that. I love you, internet!

No comments: