Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Update, but not really

I still don't know anything. I am nauseous and scared and on the verge of tears. The reports and pictures from Biloxi and Ocean Springs look horrible. The whole area is just devastated. Were they able to get up on their roof? Did they even have a roof by the time the flooding started? I keep scanning the news and the internet for any information and it only makes things worse. I wish I just knew something. I'm holding it together for the kids, but I'm not sure how long I can keep this up. SD has found the Salvation Army website down there & is trying to post a message looking for info about his family. But I'm afraid that they have been inundated with hits and he hasn't been able to leave it yet. Some of the news stations there are doing the same thing, so we are hoping to be able to at least post a message somewhere soon.

SugarPlum got off to school okay. The heavy rain held off until I had walked her there. She was so happy! As we came around the corner of the school, she saw the friend she had made at new student orientation. This girl's daddy is Air Force as well, so they have a lot in common. I'm mad at myself though, because I was so preoccupied, I forgot to take her picture before she left. I know I can take it after she gets home, but it's just not the same.

I've been working on this post all day now. SugarPlum is home from school. She had a wonderful day. She and the other new girl were glad to have each other. I was able to walk over to the school & walk home with her. We took her picture as soon as we got home. She had to hold a notebook in front of her because she got black Sharpie on her shirt at school. Sharpie. Yeah. On the shirt I just bought for her last night. No, I didn't get mad or anything. I just told her that she comes by that honestly. I have about 87 white tshirts with stains on them from the first time they were worn. I have a theory that there is a direct correlation between how much I spend on a shirt and how quickly I spill on it. I have a WalMart shirt that I have owned for several years, not a stain on it. The one from Dillards? I was lucky to make it out of the parking lot.

SugarDaddy just watched a video on the WLOX website showing Ocean Springs, and said that it looked like the area where his sister lives looks better than much of the news footage we have seen on TV. The houses at least looked to be standing. That's encouraging.

I will stop for now. Must check homework, etc. I cannot thank you all enough for all of your kind words and prayers. They really do mean more than I can express. I believe in the power of prayer. God is good and His power and love will be revealed even in this catastrophe, just watch. I promise to update again, if/when I know more.

No comments: