Sunday, October 09, 2005

Recipe Exchange - Smothered Chicken

The beautiful and talented Theresa of Flying Piggies is starting a Weekend Recipe Exchange. Sounds downright wonderful to me. This week's theme is Quick and Simple Meals. So here is one of my simplest meals that also happens to be one of my kids' absolute favorites (as seen in my 100 Things)

Smothered Chicken
*Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (Number depends on the size of your family)
*Whipping Cream (once again amount depends on how many mouths to feed) enough to cover chicken in the pan
*Seasoning (I prefer Morton's Nature Seasons) to taste
*Sliced mushrooms (optional)
~~~~~~~
Cut the chicken up into pieces (get rid of that nasty backbone!) and put it in a big skillet or dutch oven. Pour cream over cut up chicken, add mushrooms (if you want 'em) and season to taste. Simmer for about 30 minutes, but don't allow it to boil, or the cream will separate and that looks really gross. But, if it does happen, it is still yummy and entirely edible, just don't look at it while you eat it.
Really, that's it. I usually serve it with boiled potatoes, skins on. I just pour some of the cream over the potatoes. My kids rave about it.
Also, you can cook this in your crock pot if it doesn't get too hot. Otherwise that separation thing happens. Ick.
If you have any leftovers, you can strip the meat off the bones and use the chicken and the cream as a base for cream of chicken soup. Yummy.

No comments: