Wednesday, July 13, 2005

What's in a name?

A friend of mine told me that she thought it was hysterical that my blog was called "SugarMommy" because, "When do your kids ever get sugar?!"

That's a fair point. I am that obnoxious "nutrition mommy" whose kids don't get juice except at breakfast, never drink kool-aid, or get cool stuff like those chewy fruit snacks or oreos. I have lightened up some since this friend & I lived in the same place. My kids do occasionally get cookies, and I actually let them eat a lot of their Halloween candy last year. But, as a rule, I try to avoid sugar as much as possible. My main hang-up right now is
high fructose corn syrup. That stuff is just bad news. But it is in everything. So I am finding myself shopping more & more in the organic section. Which aggravates me because I am so NOT an "earthy-crunchy" type of person. But when it comes to my kids nutrition, I am willing to compromise that part of my "Buffiness." I will admit to being a big hypocrite, because I can't live without my Diet Coke! My kids don't get soda, and they sure as heck better not touch mine!

My argument to my friend was that my kids are so sweet, they don't need sugar. She wouldn't let up though. Her suggestion for a new blog name?

Splenda Mommy

No comments: